The first Veterinary School of Turkey was established in 1842 and clinical practice and lectures of Veterinary Medicine have been performed since that day. The first Internal Medicine lectures were given by Dr. Godlewsky. After the leaving of Dr. Godlewsky from the Department, Dr. Dubroca has continued the courses of internal medicine and clinical practice until 1858. Civil Veterinary School was established in 1889 following the establishing the first Civil Veterinary Association in 1888. Both of the mentioned Veterinary Schools were combined in 1921 and named as High Veterinary School. In 1933, High Agriculture Institute was established in Ankara and High Veterinary School joined into this formation in the same year. After establishing Ankara University as the oldest university of the Turkish Republic in 1946, the High Veterinary School was reorganised as the faculty of Veterinary Medicine. In 1948, the Ankara University incorporated the Faculties of Agriculture and Veterinary composed the Higher Institute of Agriculture.
In Civil Veterinary School Muallim Minas (1889-1911), Ali Rıza Uğur (1908-1910) and Samuel Aysoy (1911-1921) teached internal medicine courses, after reorganisations of the veterinary schools, Dr. Aysoy continued teaching the lectures. In 1933, Prof. Dr. Max Gebhard (the director of the department), Assoc. Prof. Dr. Samuel Aysoy, Dr. Ass. Selahattin Nejat Yalkı and Ass. Nurettin Mashar Öktel worked in High Agriculture Institute. In October 1936, after leaving of Prof. Dr. Gebhard, Prof. Dr. Stetter became the institute director and in the same year Samuel Aysoy promoted to professor.
Today, eight professor, 1 assistant professor, one doctor (phd), four research assistant and one technician carry out the academic and clinical activities in the department. Besides, 3 administrative stuff have been already officiated in Internal Medicine.
Internal Medicine Department have a laboratory unit with the ability of evaluating the dermatological, hematological, parasitological and urine samples. The department have also the examination halls for small and large animals including the appointments of endoscopy, ultrasonography, echocardiography, electrocardiography, holter monitoring and anestesia. A classroom with the capacity of 100 students and hospitalisation units are also present in the department.
The graduate lectures in the Department of Internal Medicine includes endocrinology, infectious disease, dermatology, hematology, cardiology, gastroenterology, ear-nose-throat disease, oncology, urology and exotic animals.
Clinics of internal medicine provide customers with high quality service. Over the 5000 patients per yer referred to internal medicine clinics.
Project office of Ankara University and The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey have supported the some national and international researches in the department. The department of internal medicine have also supported the courses and seminars for continuing education.